Tuesday 20 June 2017

The Tour of Cambridgeshire 2017...

... the biggest Time Trial in the world.

Given the shear size, grandeur and level of professional organisation it is easy to forget that the Tour of Cambridgeshire (ToC) is only in it's third year. Having ridden all three events and seen how Tom Caldwell and his team have grown the event from nothing to what is undoubtedly one of the most popular events on the amateur cycling calendar makes it all the more exciting to be a part of. The inaugural 2015 event was single handedly responsible for sending the biggest team ever to a UCI World Amateur Championships; where Team GB practically took over Denmark! It is therefore no surprise that ToC attracts some of the best Time Triallists in the country, all vying for a coveted place on the team to, this year, go to Albi in August. It is, however, an inclusive qualifying event and there were plenty of people that you don't see setting the TT scene alight for the rest of the season coming along to compete. There is no doubt though that the competition at the sharp end is fierce and those coveted places don't come easily; a reminder that it isn't an automatic right to be able to represent your country at the World Championships. It should come as no surprise that historically the riders doing well at ToC have gone on to do well on the World (Amateur) stage, but like anything in sport it can be beautifully unpredictable!

Impressive start ramp & effects, Peterborough Arena
The opportunity to compete on closed roads in the UK are minimal and this, as well as the impressive warm up and start area has to be the USP for ToC. Having been to two World Championships I can honestly say that the organisation and whole rider experience at ToC is far superior! This year was no different - plenty of turbos to warm up on and helpful mechanics from Rutland Cycles on hand to ensure your bike gets safely mounted onto them. It's these little things that help to take some of the anxiety away with one less thing to have to think about. 

The start sheet had plenty of familiar names on it and across the age groups it was almost possible to pick the top 5 contenders - with the exception of last minute mechanicals and recent form not making an appearance when it mattered. It was nice to see a strong contingent from the Midlands Women's Series competing. 

It was a fairly warm day with the customary headwind on the way out, the beauty of this is thankfully that it generally means there will be a tailwind back towards the Arena. I had decided upon a slightly different race plan this year, which involved using more gears!! I'm not entirely sure that my plan was in fact the right one on the day but I stuck with it all the same. The one major climb that features on both the TT and Road Race course didn't feel as steep as it did last year so this was a mental hurdle out of the way. I was also gaining significantly on the rider who started two places ahead of me and comfortably overtook her half way up - this was an extra boost for the legs!

Seated climbing this year
I had a good descent, stayed nice and aero and capitalised on any free speed that I could muster as it's actually the drag that follows that I find more leg sapping than the major climb! It's the section of the course that follows this that I really enjoy; the opportunity to capitalise on closed roads and take the shortest lines! 

Making the most of the closed roads
I really struggled with the last drag that follows the above fast flowing section. I couldn't find a rhythm and found myself changing gear more times than I'd have liked. My mind started to wander (this is never a good sign!) and I had a bit of a fight with myself to keep pushing on. It was a classic 'if it was easy everyone would be doing it' type moment, however it was only myself that I had to convince of this!! I knew the fast descent would be an opportunity to snatch a moment or two for the legs to recover before the process of emptying the energy tank on the way back to the Arena. Even after riding the course for three years running I still find it hard to judge that fine balance between giving everything and crossing the finish line! I was winding the pace up as much as I thought I could so just had to hope that that would be enough to be reflective of the best i had to give on the day. After last year's fiasco, or poor performance, I was desperate to make the podium this year.



So happy to be on the podium!

My best was good enough for Silver (and a second qualification slot for Albi)! I was thrilled! The demons of last year had been slayed at last. Helen McKay had taken the win, her first at ToC having come 2nd last year, so she was equally elated. However, the ride of the day has to go to fellow Midlands athlete Liz Powell, who not only won her age group but rode the fastest female time of the day!

Smiles all round
Thanks for another great event Tom and team at Golazo Cycling - hopefully see you in Albi in August! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time... to face the demons After a bit of a hiatus in having anything much to write (that might be of vague interest to anyone), ou...