Friday 4 August 2017

A flexible approach to training...

...Rucksack intervals at dawn!

Balancing full-time work with serious training is a little like a constant lesson in juggling different balls - each one is important in its own way, some you can take risks with whilst others are more fragile and need to be treated with greater respect. For the majority of us the competing priority of work will always win; ultimately that's what pays the bills! I've historically been a 'lazy exerciser' a term I came across earlier this year describing those of us who will think nothing of going out for a four hour training ride but won't ride 15 minutes to work. Does that ring any bells with anyone?! Moving further away from work has opened up, in my mind, the option of riding to work and it feeling worthwhile. The most straightforward route is approximately 48km and a variety of extended routes can make it anything up to 65km each way, so worth the effort! Being a morning person and appreciating the quiet roads and wildlife that is often still abundant at dawn its a great way to start the day, even if that isn't my initial reaction at the annoying sound that turns out to be the 04:45 alarm! Yes, I can confirm that there are two 4 o'clocks in one day!!



Sunrise - just one of the benefits of getting up so early!
I started out by including an easy fasted ride to work once a week just to spin the legs and wake up the metabolism; encouraging fat burning efficiency has to be a good thing, right? It's a good thing until you realise that whilst you might be accustomed to a fasted 60 minutes, going a little further is a bit of a shock to the system! Thankfully we have a very accommodating chef at work and I have been rescued with a prompt bowl of porridge on several occasions. In fact I think Steve is an emergency service within an emergency service!


On the mornings where I had a structured, quality session to do I had been getting up equally early, having something light to eat, to fuel the session, and then running around like a mad hatter trying not to be late for work. It eventually dawned on me that given I much prefer to do these structured sessions on the road than the turbo that perhaps I could trial using my commute in a more constructive way. Having taken some extra work clothes and supplies in ahead of my experiment, I was left with a smaller rucksack - quality power sessions are hard enough without any assistance from unwieldy luggage! It was great! I was travelling faster so arrived at work quicker and with the satisfaction that I've done my hard session for the day and with the bonus of not having been caught in any traffic. Unfortunately I am not office based everyday and frequently need my car but I can clearly see the financial benefits of being able to actively commute even some of a journey on a regular basis would soon add up. Equally arriving at my desk as awake and ready to attack the day as humanly possible is also a bonus.



The way home has sometimes been an excuse for a sneaky refuel at The Artisan!
The benefits are equal at the end of the day as well, it's been a really nice way to unwind and leave any stresses of the day behind. On a few occasions I've not been convinced about my ability to actually make it home without pedaling squares but I think that's been mostly in my head - a hard session and a sedentary day are a great recipe for DOMS! I have often stopped off at 'The Artisan' in Eccleshall which has been a great excuse to refuel for a longer ride home and an opportunity to catch up with owners and friends David & Wendy briefly. Being social is often one of the balls that gets overlooked (friends and family often have to work around my racing schedule) so the importance of doing this when the opportunity arises is appreciated.


Balancing structure with free-rides opens your eyes to the surrounding countryside

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding it difficult to keep the respective priorities in balance. One of the things I hear most frequently at work is 'I don't have time (for exercise)'. A statement which is all too often proffered as an excuse for a regime being more miss than hit. I find turning this around and replying 'so exercise isn't important to you...' a useful catalyst for focusing the mind on what actually is important. Although I might be extremely disciplined in terms of fitting structured training into not just my day but my week, this is often at the expense of other vital ingredients, namely sleep. It goes without saying that in order to sustain such an early start to the day it needs to be accompanied by an equally early night. Waking up earlier and earlier without replenishing those hours is something I'm still working on - ideas on the back of a post card would be gratefully received! Equally it's not easy to strike a balance with all the other demands on leisure time - a rest day is a day off the bike but it is still likely to include mowing the lawn, working on the house, digging the garden etc. Our garden is a work in progress and attempting to create some structure to what will eventually become flower beds is great for mental relaxation but my hamstrings are not so enthused!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time... to face the demons After a bit of a hiatus in having anything much to write (that might be of vague interest to anyone), ou...