Friday 18 May 2018

Do you really need a TT bike to Time Trial?

In short, NO!


It was the postponed awards evening for the 2017 Midlands Women's Time Trial Series back in April (thanks for organising Anna). I was sat next to someone who is relatively new to cycling and came along to a couple of TTs last year to see what it's all about. This was me just a couple of years before. A friend, who I had met through Strava, said "come along to our Club TT, it's good fun... I think you'll enjoy it".


So, I met her to ride over to said event - me on the second-hand road bike that I had not long purchased, wearing the one set of cycling kit that I owned at the time and a pair of tri shoes, as I thought that Duathlon was probably the goal at the time. She arrives at the meeting point on her Pinarello TT bike, with a skinsuit, pointy helmet and shoe covers! I had honestly wondered what I had let myself in for! All I could think about on the ride over was how I was going to get out of this - clearly I was going to look stupid, I would be the only one on a road bike and was just simply, way out of my depth.

My first Open 10 on a basic aluminium Trek 1.1

My fears were short-lived as everyone was really friendly, nobody laughed at my road bike, baggy jersey or my worry that I would go the wrong way (despite being directionally challenged even I could manage to go straight on at the first roundabout and circumnavigate the second to return to the start! If I remember correctly I rode a long 26, which soon became a 26.0 (beating a few people on TT bikes into the bargain). A time that it actually took me a couple of outings on my TT bike to better!!


These same fears surfaced the following year (2014) when I signed up for my first 'Open 10', despite it being advertised as a Novices event. I parked next to a delightful couple, who were really friendly and helpful... and then wheeled out a sparkly Cervelo P5 with a disc and deep section front wheel out of their car! Once again, those fears that everyone would laugh when I got my aluminium Trek (that we had taken the mudguards off and scrubbed the night before) out were unfounded. I wasn't last by a long shot, in fact I would have won the Novices category, had it not been for a somewhat random definition of novice. (I had only ridden two club events, for fun but given one of those had been in a time of 26 minutes exactly, I apparently "couldn't possibly be a novice"). This was a little confusing as to me I was the definition of a novice personified - I was still very much learning about Time Trialling, had a road bike and had never ridden an Open 10 before.

My first, somewhat poorly fitting, TT bike - I was faster on my road bike for quite a while!

Anyway, the point that I was reminded of on this particular Saturday evening is that from the outside Time Trialling can seem quite exclusive, it might appear that everyone has fancy bikes, pointy helmets and disc wheels but honestly, not everyone does. The beauty of Time Trialling is that actually, until you decide that it's something you'd like to be competing at the sharp end of, you really do only need you, a bike and a willingness to push yourself as hard as you can for 10 miles (or further, if you get into it). In the early days the majority of the gains are rider rather then equipment based.

Closed roads course - benefitting from taking the racing line (wrong side of the road)

Having said that, there are a few fairly easy swaps:

  • Streamline your bike - remove anything off your frame that adds weight (light packs or bottles that you might take on a long ride or commute)
  • A close fitting skinsuit
  • A pair of aero overshoes (Velotoze are a good, affordable option)
  • Pinning your number on so it is as flush on your back as possible (you don't want to be dragging a sail around) 
  • A good structured warm up. Just because you are riding a road bike doesn't mean that you can be any less prepared for the effort to come!
  • Wheels - whilst aero wheels are not the 'be all and end all' that people often make out (many are only a faster option at over 25mph and some in excess of 28mph), a good, light, set of wheels are a good investment.
  • If you haven't had a bike fit, this is definitely where to invest your money! 

There will always be people who buy as much aero kit as they can afford but it doesn't necessarily make them faster. The aero kit is often the final 1%, concentrating on the physical and mental preparation will often reap far greater rewards, especially in the early days. It feels great when you beat someone on a TT bike when you are on a road bike too!! There are often seperate road bike leagues and prizes at both club and open events which evens out the stakes as well, so go for it!!

If you are female and are based in or near to the West Midlands, then you will be assured a warm welcome from The Midlands Women's Time Trial Series. There are 'jersey' categories for all abilities, with medals and the chance to compete for the beautiful Chris Goodfellow Memorial Bowls. The series runs from April to September and includes both 10 and 25m courses.

Honoured to be the custodian of my second Chris Goodfellow bowl. 'Fastest' in the 2017 season












No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time... to face the demons After a bit of a hiatus in having anything much to write (that might be of vague interest to anyone), ou...