Friday 8 June 2018

Sports Personality of the Year, 2018

No, not that one, The City of Stoke on Trent Sports Personality of the Year Awards!

The 2018 awards, looking back on the 2017 season, marked the 43rd occasion that this event has been held to reward amateur and professional sportsmen and women, children, teams, volunteers and coaches. It is a unique partnership between The Sentinel and Stoke on Trent City Council and is a fabulous opportunity to celebrate sporting talent from across the area, as well as those who nurture and support it.



The 2018 Sports Awards campaign highlighted tales of success, endeavour and commitment drawn from a variety of different sports. The magnificent Kings Hall was a fabulous venue to host such a special evening. It was a real privilege and an honour to be shortlisted amongst some of the 'best sporting talent' in the area, which included Olympic champions, Paralympic heroes and the three professional football teams.

The Kings Hall looking truly resplendent 
The irony of the 2017 season feeling like a lifetime ago and my 2018 season having not long been totally derailed wasn't lost on me (see Blood, Sweat & Fears Part I). I had to keep reminding myself that this was a celebration of the commitment, dedication and hard work from not just me but those around me along with a dream, a desire and a vision to make it happen. Even the current circumstances couldn't take this away from me; it just made last year's achievements seem a whole lot less repeatable!



I had been shortlisted in the Senior Individual category, alongside Danielle Wyatt and Adam Burgess. Danielle wrote her name in English cricket history in 2017 when she became the first England woman to score a Twenty20 century in the final match of the Ashes series in Canberra in November. Meanwhile Adam once again made his mark in the world of canoe slalom, climbing up the rankings and claiming his first World Cup medal (a bronze in Markleeburg, Germany).

Then there was little old me, definitely feeling my age when being directly compared to two talented athletes in their mid twenties!! The achievement that had seen me shortlisted was my silver medal from the UCI Champs, backed up by taking my first TLI Cycling National title underwritten by a 100% podium finish record. However you look at these achievements, whilst fabulous for me, I was clearly a country mile behind the talent and achievements of the other two.

Danielle was a very worthy winner of our category and went on to take the evening's overall 'Female Sports Personality of the Year' and to prove the strength of senior talent, Adam went on to take the Male equivalent. I was proud to have been shortlisted so that was certainly reward enough for me.

I hadn't expected either of these as Runner-up!
As always at such occasions where sporting talent is being showcased, you can't help but realise just how much sporting ability there is in the area. Not just from sports people but coaches and those who tirelessly volunteer their time and expertise to nurture others. The people working in the background generally make the magic happen but rarely get the limelight.

Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation of what was a really lovely evening, from the red carpet on arrival, fabulous food to the military precision of certificate and champagne delivery direct to the table. I was glad I was able to attend, even if in a somewhat reduced capacity! It certainly made a stark contrast to my more recent outings to the Fracture Clinic, Orthopaedics and Physio and actually marked the first time I'd braved any distance in the car.





No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time... to face the demons After a bit of a hiatus in having anything much to write (that might be of vague interest to anyone), ou...