Thursday 12 October 2017

Season Round-up

'Podium Perfection' according to the local newspaper!

Another racing year done and dusted; it's been brilliant but I'm glad of the opportunity to take a break and reflect. In the early part of the year I couldn't get my immune system to the point where I was going more than two weeks without having a cold or some sort of virus to string any training together. The combination of this, along with a stressful house-move right before Christmas, culminated in me throwing my toys out of the pram and saying 'that's it, I'm going to sell the bikes...' A statement that I've been reminded of several times throughout the year!! Clearly my love for the process was greater than the short period of adversity I was experiencing at the time. I really am a believer that setbacks make you stronger and in this case they certainly did. I found myself appreciating when training started to go well and didn't take hitting the power numbers or a weekly mileage goal for granted. The smaller, more incidental parts of training suddenly had a greater focus. I put the end goal to one side and focussed on nailing the training (the process that was going to get me there) - clearly this is something that I should have been doing all along!


Express & Star article, October 2017


Despite being full of cold and feeling under the weather, The Tour of Ayrshire marked a turning point for me. It was my first win in a UCI qualifying event which got the season off to a fantastic start. However, for me, I had executed my race plan to the letter (control the power for the first half, knowing I was feeling unwell and then try to ramp up the second half) and kept the belief that I could actually do this. Not once did my mind wander - for those of you who know me well, I can be easily distracted, especially in a Time Trial when the going gets tough!


UCI World Amateur Championships silver - proudest moment of the year
The Di2 battery played it's little part in ensuring that my ability to deal with adversity hadn't switched off. Not content with spontaneously discharging (on more than one occasion), we then had the 'make a bid for freedom' and leap clearly off the frame incident! If I get the choice I'd rather not repeat the episode of getting off and running up the hill that is too steep to grind up when the only gear that I have is my biggest. However, all of these 'moments' have enabled me to prove to myself that digging in when I absolutely need to isn't a problem. Of course they were all frustrating, especially when you can see what you know started out as a great ride slowly starting to fall apart with every pedal stroke. However, you appreciate the next race or training ride when you do have a full range of gears all the more.


Fifteen races later and I managed to land a podium position in all of them (seven wins, four seconds and four thirds). Contrary to popular belief this wasn't because I targeted races where I thought I would do well, rather I selected a variety of courses that would be good preparation for the UCI Worlds. Fifteen races is far fewer than I did last year, again this was to enable me to keep putting in big blocks of training rather than get caught in the perpetual cycle of tapering and racing because 'every race is important'. Ultimately I saw my fitness tumble last year as I raced more and more. This isn't such an issue in road racing where the distances are longer, or perhaps in Time trialling where you're riding a variety of distances - as long as you can recover from those race efforts.


Thanks to Photographybysimon.com for capturing some great memories
Key results from this year:


Silver AG medal: World Amateur TT Championships, France
2017 Women's National TT Champion, TLI Cycling
Series Title: DB Max/Kinetic One Castle Combe Closed Circuit Champs (CR in events 2,3&5)
Win: Tour of Ayrshire Chrono, UCI GF Series Qualifier 2017
2nd: Tour of Cambridgeshire Chrono, UCI GF Series Qualifier 2017
2nd: Chrono Tre Valli Varesine (Italy), UCI GF Series Qualifier 2018
Win: Midland Women's TT Series (4 events)
Win: Charlie Grieg Memorial 10TT




Whilst I might pedal the bike, some days better than others, the support network I am lucky enough to have around me is nothing short of fabulous. Swinnerton Cycles, Revolver Wheels, Pro Vision Clothing, TORQ Fitness, NoPinz, and not forgetting the sponsors that have supported the race team this year - BlackMamba Gloves, GJC Furniture & Tanita Europe. Paul of Empowered Performance has done a stirling job with my coaching and managed to achieve almost the perfect race preparation for me - not an easy task!  It has all come together to provide a great platform to build on for 2018 and beyond.


I'm really grateful to everyone for their support, patience and interest - let's get the 2018 show ready for the road!








No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time... to face the demons After a bit of a hiatus in having anything much to write (that might be of vague interest to anyone), ou...